It’s happened again. A new year has snuck up on us. Perhaps you find yourself saying something like “Where did this year go?”, or “2018 already?”.
Each January 1st we have the opportunity to begin again, to wipe the slate clean and start fresh. There is something about the turning of the calendar to a new year that makes it possible to put the past behind us and look ahead to brighter days. We can and will do better, we tell ourselves. This time will be different!
I love the start of a New Year. It gives me the chance to revisit my vision, to regain the focus I may have lost, and to recommit to what I really want. I can make adjustments to my trajectory, think through what it will take for me to succeed, and get back to it with a renewed sense of purpose.
How will you be ready for the new year? What steps will you take to make 2018 the best year yet? Take some time this week to answer these questions so you will be in the best position possible:
- What do you want to celebrate a year from now? Think about it. Don’t rush this! Be crystal clear about your target. Write it down. Quantify it, and make it real.
- What worked for you in 2017? What produced the best results? Write them down, and plan on repeating them.
- What didn’t work in 2017? What strategies or tactics did you try that simply didn’t deliver the results you were looking for? Write them down, along with why you think they failed, so you can avoid the same mistakes again.
- What changes are necessary for your results to be different? If nothing changes, nothing changes. If what you were doing was working, you would already have what you want! Much of the time, change starts within!
- Are you willing to do what it takes? Count the cost, evaluate what will be required, and determine if what you want is important enough to make the commitment.
- What does each day need to include? Achievement takes dedication, and the willingness to break your goals down into manageable chunks. More often than not, your daily routine will be your basis for success. A disciplined daily routine is a common theme among highly successful people. Perhaps they know something that we don’t! Determine what your own routine should include, and make sure you stick with it.
How have you prepared for 2018? I hope that you will do what it takes to make the new year the best yet!